watsayou.blogspot.com/: Awareness
 
 
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Awareness
HAPPY DEEPAVALI!!

To those working personals, whoa!! It's a good day Deepavali falls on this year. Take a leave/off tomorrow, and it's a long weekend for you guys! WoohoO!

I yahoo-ed Deepavali and got this website that explains about this festival. I realised that despite me growing up in a multi-racial community, I know little about Deepavali except that it's a festival of lights or something.

When I say I know little about this festival, I think it shows: #1 I is not aware, or #2 Racial Harmony Day in schools last time didn't really reach their desired goal?

The website says:

"There are various alleged origins attributed to this festival. Some hold that they celebrate the marriage of Lakshmi with Lord Vishnu. In Bengal the festival is dedicated to the worship of Kali. It also commemorates that blessed day on which the triumphant Lord Rama returned to Ayodhya after defeating Ravana. On this day also Sri Krishna killed the demon Narakasura."

The
website also says:

"Everyone forgets and forgives the wrongs done by others. There is an air of freedom, festivity and friendliness everywhere. This festival brings about unity. It instills charity in the hearts of people. Everyone buys new clothes for the family. Employers, too, purchase new clothes for their employees."

I'm being lazy. Just cut-and-paste and link you guys to the website.


To the non-Hindus we probably just treat it as another holiday (It's not even a holiday for me! Me exam in 10days' time! >.<), but man, we gotta know man. It holds meaning for some, even though they may not be the majority of the population in this little island. It's good to have some awareness, or at least to gain some knowledge.

Do spend time reading this post by our very famous local blogger Mr.Miyagi. He really sums up things well. (Read about how a primary school kid goes to school during Racial Harmony Day dressed as a ______!) And yes, I is being lazy again. I is saying "Go look at other people's blog, I gotta go study la!"

Sorry, guys. But I got a battle to fight, and if I die you guys are not gonna have the chance to come by and read about how I brush my teeth the same way every morning le.

posted by 木杉 @ 13:37  
4 Comments:
  • At November 09, 2007 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hEY, can u pleASE sTop drEssing as SpiDerman dUring RacIal HarMony Day~! u havIng bEen dOing iT since sec1... AreNT u boRed....

    wAke uP ur Idea!!!!
    cHange nEw cOstumE la.. maYbe sUpErmaN!!

     
  • At November 09, 2007 11:25 PM, Blogger 木杉 said…

    brudder, that kid is in pri sch. you said i been doing it since sec1~

    >.<

    major "whoops!" there, bro.

     
  • At November 10, 2007 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i m not talking abt that kid, i m talking abt u....
    the similarity between u n the kid -->that spider-man costume

     
  • At November 11, 2007 1:17 PM, Blogger 木杉 said…

    superman costume better than spiderman?

    somehow i just feel weird about putting me underwear on the outside.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Recent Posts
Archives
Quote
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door. -- Paul Beatty
Links
Template by
Blogger Templates