watsayou.blogspot.com/: Future
 
 
Monday, June 04, 2007
Future

Met a senior today to catch up. Haven't seen her for like, one year? Wow. Time does not fly, it teleports.

I think I use metaphor badly.

Anyway we talked a lot, but what stuck with me was the conversation on what we were to do after we graduate.

We are at different stages of life now: I am gonna be year 2 student when school starts, and she has already graduated.

I expressed my worries that right here and now, I am still unable to see what the future has in store for me. Like, I still cannot see what I will be doing after I graduate.

My friend went through such a stage also, but she thinks further. She calculated that her parents are now in their mid-fifties, and still working. She has a younger brother who just entered Army and so the parents will probably have to endure for another 5 years (have to work to make sure the boy's uni fees in the future will be ensured) before they can finally retire. And when they do, they will be around 60 years old.

"Sixty!" My friend said. "How many more years to enjoy themselves?"

How very true. My friend then continued, "So I have to start doing something. I want my parents to be able to retire and travel the world in around 2 to 3 years time. This is my short term plan-- in the long run, I wish to be able to retire in around 10 years' time."

We then talked about how plausible that would be. Not impossible, if you are able to recognise your interest and area of field. She joined an entrepreneurship club and learnt a lot from there; she read books on investments, self-improvements ("Rich Dad Poor Dad", "Who Moved My Cheese", etc)

She now knows which direction she is heading for, and how to work for it.

She mentioned, "I was quite involved in the different activities during year one and two, so I didn't think much about it. Then come year 3 and 4, I still wasn't able to give it much thought because of the heavy work load."

"It was when I was about to graduate, then me and my friends suddenly panicked: we are entering society soon, what are we to do?"

"It is natural to panic. So I asked my elder brother for help. He told me, 'You can panic, but after that go do something about it. You won't achieve anything by sitting there worrying and doing nothing."

It was a good wake up call. So that's how my friend ends up with a business plan with a few of her friends. At least she knows where to go. Now she can start moving.

I think, that once you make that first move, you are one step towards success. After that you just keep moving and believing in yourself and don't look back.

Martial artist Bruce Lee mentioned that in a sparring session, "Turn your sparring as a play-- but play seriously." I believe it can be applied to venturing out to business as well. Don't worry about the outcome. When you play you focus on the journey, whatever problem comes you tackle it seriously. Then keep moving.

She asked me, "What is your definition of success?

I think I wasn't awake, because I told her that a stable job and a constant income equal success.

But if that is success, then I will forever be in the rat race, slogging and trying to clear my debts and loans.

If I have a chance, I will change my answer: Success is to be able to excel in your area of interest. It's idealistic, because sometimes what you like doesn't ensure you a good life. But it's still a better answer than what I gave today.

I really need to start thinking, now.

posted by 木杉 @ 21:53  
4 Comments:
  • At June 05, 2007 1:32 AM, Blogger  said…

    成功对于我来说,是满足。在走完人生的最后一步后,能对自己说“我很满足。”

    而要做到满足,是做任何自己内心想做的事情吧。

    不用操之过急,给自己静下来的一分钟,就能得到很多答案哦。(author of "Who Moved My Cheese" say de, haha. He also wrote that book i read :))

    Good luck! 当你想要去寻找答案时,不是已经成功了一半吗?^^

    Yanling

     
  • At June 05, 2007 1:33 PM, Blogger 木杉 said…

    thought invoking.. thx for the encouragement too! you always manage to give me insights =))

     
  • At June 05, 2007 9:11 PM, Blogger AhKai said…

    wow...good luck to you..=) guess i have to work on it also..haha

     
  • At June 11, 2007 1:01 AM, Blogger HF said…

    thought provoking questions, worth more than a thought.. i think, what we (as students) can do now is just to make the best out of our studies!

    it's true that we shd nt 操之过急, and recognise that we are now laying the foundation for whatever we r going to do in the future.

    btw, there isnt really anything wrong about getting a good job n all that, 人各有志. what's more impt is liking, and taking pride in what you do; and good financial management, so as to live happily without financial worries..

    bbtw, i seriously think ur senior is in mlm.. ;p

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Recent Posts
Archives
Quote
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door. -- Paul Beatty
Links
Template by
Blogger Templates