Have you read this book before?
 I cannot remember when I read it. There was a time in my primary school years when I was crazy about Roald Dahl and I went on a spree to read all his books. I remember that I was deeply touched by the emotion shared between father and son in the story.
But I cannot imagine, or relate to, that closeness shared between them.
My father is a typical Chinese man. Being a typical Chinese man, he has no problem building that tall, strong, and strict image of an asian father. Being a typical Chinese man, he also has no problem in being a man who is able to make lightning-quick-life-and-death decisions (that's just an expression), but have to struggle hard to express his emotions.
I actually thought all fathers are like that until I am old enough to drink.
There is this wall between us, my father and I. We don't share secrets. We don't do any physical contacts. We speak to each other in a nonchalant tone. But there is this funny little thing underneath that makes sure that if anything happens to any of us, we will risk our life to make sure the other party is ok.
We care but we don't show. That had been the way between fathers and sons in Chinese families since hundreds of years. Well actually that's the way between guys, too. Guys don't do a lot of emotional stuffs with each other. I wonder why whoever is responsible made us guys to be the way we were.
Today is Father's Day and you'd think I should tell him I love him. But I won't. Because deep down he know, and I know, and that is enough for us. My father showed me that men, unlike women, are creatures of actions, not words.
I'll treat my father to dinner tonight. |
That is a very very sweet and heart-warming entry.. :)
cindee