 Have you heard of the Gaia hypothesis proposed by British chemist James Lovelock in 1979? I doubt so.
I came across it in the book "Faint Echoes, Distant Stars" by Dr Ben Bova. The hypothesis states that (I quote) "... our planet's vast and intricate web of life- the biosphere- is a self-regulating system that cycles carbon, nitrogen, water, oxygen, and the other elements necessary for life in a series of feedback loops so as to optimize the environment for life."
I can see stars around you, readers. The book gave an example: consider the greenhouse effect in the world now. The greenhouse effect simply means that there are more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere trapping heat on Earth.
Now the theory goes on to explain that this may not necessary be a bad thing. More carbon dioxide will, in the long run, lead to the growth of more plants, which will eventually consume the carbon dioxide and bring the world's temperature down again.
Lo and behold, we do not need to put in effort to reduce greenhouse effect!
=_=
I quote again:
"While human civilisation may suffer devastating effects from 'temporary' climate changes, sooner or later Gaia will regulate everything back to conditions that are optimal for the planet's biosphere (although not necessary for human existence)."
Although not necessary for human existence. WIN.
The book goes on to say that "most scientists scoffed at Lovelock's concept of the Earth as a single gigantic, interrelated, and self-regulating organism". Heng ar. If good 'ol Earth doesn't need the human race to save, how to prove we are the most superior beings on the planet??

Anyway, regardless of whether Earth is really Wolverine a planet capable of self-healing, there are 2 points I realised from the theory: #1 that human beings are not the superior lifeforms on Earth. Plants are. So even when the human race is wipe out from global warming, plants will still survive because of the plentiful carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. #2 that Lovelock must be such a simple-minded man to underestimate the destructive nature of Homo Sapiens. He must have been an alien.
|