watsayou.blogspot.com/: A Story
 
 
Thursday, May 31, 2007
A Story
Happy Vesak Day!

Maybe I'll say something on this special day that was set aside to commemorate Buddha's birth, enlightenment and Nirvana.

We all know too well the story of the Prince (who is later known as Buddha) who left the wealth and fame of his royalty and went to seek enlightenment. But just what he was trying to attain is a rather blur area for some of us.

Turned out that this Prince Siddharto discovered birth, old-age, sickness, and death, and started wondering why such sufferings exist. (Birth is considered a kind of suffering because the other kinds of sufferings exist with it) Hence, he left the palace in search of a way to relieve Mankind of such sufferings.

He did not find a way to avoid them. However, he did find a way to relieve such sufferings. In addition to that, he discovered the way the Universe works, and he discovered the purpose of life. He gained full enlightenment.

So thereafter he began to spread his teachings until his physical body failed him and he entered into Nirvana.

Story ends.

Buddha wasn't exactly a holy deity, I think. Afterall, he died because of old-age and (if I remember correctly) food-poisoning-- a very human cause. But, undeniably, he is someone who discovered a complete system that one can apply to Life itself, along with the likes of other founders of various religions.

Nowadays people pray for 4-D and other materialistic stuffs. However, I feel that if you are to pray, whether to Buddha or the God of your religion, you do not do that to ask for things-- instead, you pray because you appreciates what they have to offer to the world.

I can hear someone screaming now, "Noo! Oceanice is preaching about appreciation again! Ahhh!"

Well, shrugs.

Anyway. Even if you are not a buddhist, you can just treat it as a nice story on a holiday like this.

A true buddhist is not gauged by whether you chant deligilently everyday, or whether you are a vegetarian, or whether you wear buddhist beads or whatever. For me, at least, a true buddhist is someone who learns from life and, well, um don't scream-- appreciates everything around you.

Hey, I said don't scream-- ok, now leave your monitor alone, don't slam it! Okk, I won't preach about that anymore. Relax, ok?

Anyway, ahem, that definition applies to believers of other religions too. At least, according to me.

This is an entry that is not proven, but just some random thoughts from my own point of view. I hope I nair say anything wrong about buddhism or other religions! *Prays hard*

As a blogger (and as a person, too) I have to be responsible for my own speech.

Have a happy day today!
P/S Explore the significance of Vesak here.
posted by 木杉 @ 16:33  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Recent Posts
Archives
Quote
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door. -- Paul Beatty
Links
Template by
Blogger Templates